Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thanks Sheriff

A couple weeks ago, I was taking Jonah to school and we got stuck behind a garbage truck and another car. After the garbage truck made 3 or 4 stops, I quickly realized that the car right behind him was not going to pass him. Granted he couldn't at first because we were actually stuck in the round-about, but then it was clear sailing around the truck, despite the double yellow line that lasted for several more houses.

Hmm. Dilemma. If I stayed behind the two vehicles I would most certainly be late, dropping Jonah off to school. So I looked up the hill to make sure no other cars were coming and, yes, despite the double yellow line, I zoomed around the garbage truck and other car so I could keep going.

Within milliseconds I heard a *GASP* from the back seat. "Mom! You can't cross over a double yellow line!!" "I know Jonah, but the garbage truck was going to be making many more stops and if we waited we'd be late for school." "But Mom, that was illegal! You can't cross those lines!" "Yes, Jonah, I know, but if I..." "You could go to jail!!!" "You're right, I will not do that again." I hang my head in shame as my 4 year old keeps my driving in check, not to mention that he knows traffic laws like these!! What four year old does that?! "I'm sorry Jonah, that was wrong and I shouldn't have done that." "Nope you shouldn't and if I was a police officer, I'd take you to jail, even though you're my mom."

Thanks Sheriff, I appreciate your love for the law.

1 comment:

Alison said...

'even though you're my mom'... Too cute!!
It's so hard to be truly consistent with our kids, that whole 'they learn more of what we do than wheat we say' thing can be sooo convicting!