Monday, February 22, 2010

Back to life, back to reality

Upon returning home from a more-than-wonderful trip to Colorado, my mom asked me, “Are you glad to be home?” To which I quickly replied, “No.” I followed it up with, “I’m glad to see my children yes, but I’m NOT glad to be home. On Friday morning, when we were packing up I said, ‘Can’t we just SEND for the children? Have them come here? We can all stay in this house, here in Colorado FOREVER!’” Apparently that was not reality and that could not happen. Blast. I cannot describe how great the trip was. My words will never do it justice, but I’ll give you a glimpse.

#1. I cannot tell you how very, very needed this trip was for Jeremiah and I. After 4 months of trying to survive as parents of three, we realized, “Oh yeah! We are spouses too... not just parents! Maybe we should act like it!” It was good to spend time with him. It was good to look at his face again and see the man I married. It was good to hug, and joke, and laugh, and hold hands. It was good. It was good to talk with my sister-in-law, Stephanie, who has been on this same road before, raising small children and doing life as a couple. She gave me extreme hope. I love her dearly.

#2. Relaxed! Although I did spend 3 days skiing, I was able to bookend the week with days of relaxation in the house. They were phenomenal. I probably could have sat in the living room and stared out the window all week long. And don’t get me wrong, the skiing that I did was also pretty relaxed. I was a bit sore walking up and down the stairs, but I’m honestly sorer tonight after kickboxing. Apparently Lyssa, our instructor, thought that since we have had 2 weeks off (snow day and President’s day) that we needed to play catch up tonight. It was brutal. She’s mean. Just kidding, I like her. Please don’t punish me next week for saying that Lyssa! (No just kidding, she doesn’t really read this)

(Ok, I digress...)

#3. Time with family is always a plus, especially when you love your family TREMENDOUSLY! I am so very blessed to have been raised in a family with whom I love to spend time. I am also very, very fortunate to be married into a family of whom I also adore. We had many a good chat, talk, conversation, laugh, cry, hug, etc. I was so glad that the time had come for all of us to be able to go on a vacation together, to examine what we look like as a family of adults and move forward as a wonderful group.

#4. Piggybacking on that- how could I ever thank my mom and dad, sister and brother enough for taking care of Jonah and Aphia while we were gone?! What a TRUE blessing they are!

#5. I’ve become a snob. I do not have any desire to ski on those blah mole hills in Minnesota anymore. I will ski in Colorado and Colorado only. Ok, maybe not, but seriously- the mountains are indescribable! We literally skied out our back door onto the hill. Wowsers! And the powder, OH THE POWDER, it is SO much fun to ski in.

#6. I've never had so much fun, standing in a stand up shower with 11 other people. Can we say, "SUPER FUN GAME OF SARDINES!!!"??? I laughed until I cried, after we had all been standing in there, waiting for... oh wait, no one, we were ALL in the shower! "Stephanie? Yeah. Bonnie? Yeah. Dave? Yeah." Laughing just thinking about it.

#7. All I can say is, see for yourself..

Standing on our deck (that had a heated floor so no snow could accumulate on it... same as the driveway and back patio out to the hot tub!)


Bex and I on the chair lift, here we go!


Becca's snowboard, my skis


JJ and I, ready for swoosh, swoosh, swoosh!


Driving into the village at night

No comments: