Tuesday, August 4, 2009

In the Future

I was looking at the hutch in my kitchen tonight, staring at it with many thoughts swirling through my head. My first and foremost thought was, "In the future, my beautiful hutch that was given to us by Jeremiah's Grandpa, will not contain playdough, and 'Let's Go Fishin' game, and fingerpaints with a pad of special paper for the paints, and cheap shaving cream for playing with on a long winter's day..." And it got me to thinking about all the things that will be different in the future.
For example....

In the future, the front of my refrigerator won't have magnetic letters on it spelling, "Dig" and "Boy" and "Run" like they do at this moment.

In the future, I won't have little boy furniture as my bedroom furniture. I will have a new set, that was not my husband's from the time he was about 10 (grateful for that furniture as I am, otherwise my clothes would be in big Rubbermaid bins in my room).

In the future, there won't be small step stools in front of both sinks in the bathroom, that I constantly knock my shins on in the middle of the night.

In the future, I'll have a new couch in my basement family room. Not one that we took home, repaired, and vacuumed out all the goldfish and cheerios, after finding it, (lovingly mind you) by the side of the road with a sign that said, "Free."

In the future, there won't be Matchbox cars and squirt guns all over the living room floor, mixed in with the castle, princesses, and tea party utensils.

As I think about all these things that will be different, and for the split second that I WANT to be different, it makes me a little sad. The reality that these things will no longer be there, makes me want to savor the day. It makes me want to take pictures of messes and toys and dirty kids, because I'm told that these days go by very, very fast, and I'll want to look back and remember them. I want to look at my life and be pleased with all things surrounding it. And for the most part, I am, and I'm so grateful I can say that I am.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13.

I am reading and pondering the words- the powerful words- of Paul, taking them to heart and cherishing what my circumstances and situation are today. I love my husband. I love my children. I love our life. I am content and at peace with exactly what we have and how the Lord has blessed us.

1 comment:

jen said...

Amen sister! Love you :)