Friday, November 16, 2012

The post where I go all "capsy"

I don't mean to be a complete Debby Downer here... but well that's exactly what I'm going to be. 
The past two weeks I feel like I've been BOMBARDED with how full of crap and trash our society is. 

We all know I wasn't thrilled with the outcome of the Presidential election, but that's basically the least of it. 

1. I'm saddened that just because of how people "feel," our state is deciding that they can leave the door open to changing the definitions of words if they want to.  What?!  Who does that? A spade is a spade is a spade is a spade.  A spade is not a heart.  A spade is not a diamond.  It's....wait for it... a spade.  There are reasons it's a spade.  There are origins of it being a spade.  And just because society says, "We kinda want a spade to now be a spade AND a heart," doesn't mean that we make it both.  If peeps want to make up another word for this thing that's a spade & heart- go for it. 

2. The states of Colorado and Washington decide that recreational marijuana is now legal. Again what?!  And how does that fit in with the fact that (I believe) it's federally illegal.  All you Colorado snowboarders can now be high on the mountains, but if you want to drink soda in NY- think twice! 

3. I just read an article about transgendered people being allowed in locker rooms with the gender that they identify with.  WHAT?!  So now if I bring my daughter (who is a female, born with female genitalia) into the women's locker room with me so that we can change to go into the pool at the gym, she can be faced with a grown male's genitalia???  That's disgusting!  And LIKE I want to see some other-than-my-husband's junk!  YEAH RIGHT! EW. And who says that all these transgendered people (I don't even know if I'm supposed to call them men or women- how whacked out is that?!) who identify as women, but have male parts are actually being truthful?  What about the CREEPY CREEPY pedophile who wants to go in and see little girls (or a dude who wants to see grown women) naked?  AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!  I want to pull my hair out. 

4. Another article I just started reading included a pamphlet from International Planned Parenthood. It made my want to BARF. It talked about the sexuality of "young people."  I thought, "How young are these people?  18-21?  18-25?"  NOPE.  These "young people" are not even adults.  Our society says that minors (and even adults ages 18-21) cannot consume alcohol, BUT they should be able to express themselves sexually in any way they want as long as the other person is ok with it???  This is BOGUS.  We don't let people under 21 drink booze because they can't handle the consequences.  THEY AREN'T MATURE ENOUGH.  But we think that young people, under the age of 18, are mature enough to make smart choices about having sex???  OH. MY. GOODNESS.  How dilisional is our society?  There are SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO many consequences to "exploring sexuality" no matter what age, let alone some kid whose hormones are already going nuts and can hardly even make a clear & wise decision on what clothes to wear.  My heart hurts at the thought that people think this is wise. 
Should we talk about sexuality to our young people?  OF COURSE.  ABSOLUTELY.  Should we encourage them to go explore it and try it out and see how it feels at these young ages?  NO WAY. How stupid are people that they believe this is a good idea?  As a parent, I'm OUTRAGED.
I am SO sick and sad that my kids are going to grow up in a world that tells them these HUGE lies.  That there aren't really consequences for our actions and even if there are, there's always an easy fix or "solution" to them.  Sad.  Sad.  Sad.

5.  Finally.  I was just watching "Katie" and she had Dr. Phil on the show- who I generally like.  She also had this other guy on who founded some website for people who are married who want to have affairs.  He said that there was a market for it because the other dating websites had 30% of people on there that were married already.  First of all, that's sick.  Second of all, you're going to capitalize on that?!  WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?!?!  And he thinks that THIS is not going to tear down the structure of marriage and family?  What a complete idiot!
The dude said that so many affairs were committed on Monday mornings because so many weekends were filled with unmet expectations.  Probably true.  I believe it.  But WHAT IN THE H.E.DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS happened to personal responsibility?  How about instead of always focusing on ones own expectations not being met, trying to meet the expectations of the other?  How about being the FIRST one to turn the marriage around?  How about being the FIRST one to take the step towards a spouse instead of waiting for THEM?  What happened to "change starts with me"?  Marriages around the globe fail because of pure selfishness.

Love starts as a feeling, a super awesome, amazing feeling.  But it often times turns to the mature choice that people make when the initial feeling goes away or seems less than brilliant anymore.  We make the choice to show love, even when it doesn't seem to come naturally.  THAT is what love is!!!  It's choosing to put the other person's wants, needs, desires in front of our own or even in front of our own "what I would or wouldn't normally do."  Sometimes I really don't want to stay up and watch a movie with my man because I'm super tired, but guess what, he really likes it when I sit next to him, snuggled up to watch a movie.  So I watch the movie and snuggle up by him.  Sometimes I get really excited about something and he (in case you didn't know) doesn't always show excitement in the same way that I do.  But he knows that when he pretends to get all giddy and excited it makes me smile and laugh so he does it... for me... because he knows it makes me feel loved and attended to.

Wake up world.  Things that "feel" good are not always the right things.  Truth is... the right thing is always THE thing to do.  Sometimes we need to go against the grain of what "feels" right and and do what IS right. 

Ok, now that my blood pressure is probably 190/100 I need to relax and go enjoy a lil Curious George with my lil buddy who just woke up from his nap. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your my hero, I am so proud of you for taking a stand for whats right. Jess

Emerge said...

Amen