Saturday, September 13, 2008

We Roll With It

We had been planning on going camping this weekend... We'd been planning it since April. In April, we sat down and looked at our summer calendar, penciling in several weekends that we wanted to go camping and this was one that we were going to use. Little by little, 6 weekends of camping got widdled down to 3. We went in June, to a campground in Clearwater- one that I wouldn't highly recommend. We parked our camper at the cabin in July with the Krugers for a weekend there. And now we have one weekend left, the first weekend in October on the north shore with my mom's extended family (a trip we do every year... and looooong for every year!).

This weekend just didn't work out to go. This week had been insane all the way around. By the time Friday night rolled around we were still "planning" on going camping when I looked around at my house, and I swear that Ike had hit here!! There was nothing ready to go camping because I was completely exhausted from the week and the pending weather for the weekend was looking extremely grim.

As we sat on the couch, talking about going, we decided to just stay put. The decision to stay home, one that you wouldn't think would be a huge deal but was, actually elated me! We so rarely get an entire weekend at home, to just BE. Since we had been planning on being gone, there now was NOTHING on the calendar- halleluia!! And now at 6:45 pm, I'm STILL in my pajamas!! :) It feels amazing. Despite the yucky, rainy weather, I could not have asked for a better day. My house is still a wreck, but dinner is planned and I've enjoyed my time with Jeremiah, Jonah and Aphia. We've played, done little tinkering things around the house, watched football, took naps, and ran to Target and Cub (don't forget I'm still in my pajamas-sweats and a hoodie... and of course I saw 4 families I know!). The normalcy of it all almost makes me want to cry. To not have to rush here or high tail it there feels simply divine!

I know that I'm busy person and we have lots of things going on as a family, but sometimes we just have to make choices to just BE. I know this... it's just the act of doing the "being" that I sometimes forget to do!

I've still been doing well with my morning dates with Jesus at the coffee shop, times that I truly cherish and revel in. He has taught me much, while staring out at the waking city of Buffalo. I get home as my own family is arising from their slumber and the day almost ALWAYS goes spledidly, this past Thursday was no exception.

As I look forward at our September and October calendars, I think it's interesting that I'm actually "planning" times of nothingness. How sad. But that's our reality right now and we roll with it.

I hope you have a day, or at least a moment in the very near future to just BE.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

AMEN!! love the days of just being!
take care all of you,
sharon

jen said...

I LOVE YOU! I loved this post & I think you're fabulous! When I think about how amazingly faithful God is to speak to us - when we take the time to listen it gives me goose-bumps....I'll be praying for you in your quier - that God blesses you for taking time to just BE (I know He will!). blessings my friend!