Thursday, July 3, 2008

Today is no longer yesterday

Jonah here!
Yesterday was not one of my mom's finest moments as a mom. We had had a rough morning, but at lunch mommy prayed for patience for her and for obedience for me and Phia. The rest of the afternoon was really fun. Mom and I read books and played cars and trains while Phia was napping. She even watched little people with me while I snuggled on her lap!
But then we went to Target around 5:00 to try to distract me and Phia until Daddy got home and it was finally dinner time. Well I wasn't listening so well at Target and Mommy said that I had to have a spanking when we got home. I was pretty sad about this and thought that if I minded really well for the rest of the time I wouldn't have to have a spanking, but she said I still did. We talked about my behavior and how it wasn't good or obedient.
Then afterwards I was still acting really whiney and Mommy got really upset. She says that she "lost her temper, really bad." I'm not sure what that is or where it went, but if it was something to lose that makes you mad, it's long gone, because she was really mad. She was not being the mommy that she wants to be and it made me pretty sad, Phia too. Afterwards she was really upset with herself and how she had acted. She said that she had a "mommy temper tantrum" and said that if it's not ok for me to act that way, then it's not ok for her either.

She decided this morning to get up at 6:30 and have a date with Jesus at Coffee Connection. In the car, on her way, there was a song on the radio that had the words, "Be still and know I am God." She said, "Ok Lord, it always comes back to that huh? OK! I'm here, I'm still, I'm listening." The next song that came on the radio had the words, "There is no guilt here, there is no shame, no pointing fingers, there is no blame. What happened yesterday has disappeared, the dirt has washed away and now it's clear... There's only grace, there's only love, there's only mercy and believe me it's enough. Your sins are gone without a trace, there's nothing left now, there's only grace." Mommy couldn't believe her ears, well actually she could, she knows how God works sometimes. He spoke directly to people like Moses, but that's only because they hadn't thought up radios yet! So Mommy cried a lot then and knew that God's mercy and forgiveness were even enough for her.

Mommy and Jesus sat outside and watched the morning open up. She read scripture and wrote in her journal (something she'd really been missing since it had been packed up and at Granny's house). Mommy read a lot about God's grace and His mercy. She read about the characteristics that she wants to have as a mommy and a wife and as a child of God. It was a really good morning for her and it has helped today go much smoother so far. She's praying a lot for patience and self-control in this area. She knows it's a constant work in progress, but she says that I'm worth it to work at! I'm trying hard to be a good boy for her and act like a big 3 and a 1/2 year old. I'm working on obeying her and listening to what she says. Sometimes it's hard for me to be quiet because I like to talk SO MUCH! But sometimes Mommy needs a little bit of quietness so she can think. Please pray for us all, that we can continue to be a loving family.
Love, Jonah

1 comment:

jen:) said...

Bravo!
I'm so glad that your mommy is taking good care of you & Aphia - I know she loves you so much and I know that she loves Jesus too :) Sometimes we mommies make mistakes too & I know how much is means to your mommy that you love her & forgive her. God is good all the time! Sometimes we just need to take a moment to be still & remember. You be good for your mommy buddy - and tell your mommy I'm proud of her & I most certainly will be praying for all of you! And thank you for having us over tonight we had a lot of fun :) blessings,
jen:)
(Micah, Cadence & Grayson's mommy)