Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Big Scare- updated!


*** Update at Bottom of Post!! ***
Good Afternoon, it's Aphia here!

Just wanted to tell you about the little scare I gave Mommy and Daddy last night. Mommy was putting my jammies on and I didn't want to get a new diaper on, I love to run around nakie! When she layed me down I started to cry, and then scream! Mommy knows how I can be sometimes, so she didn't really think anything of it. But then something happened... When Mommy looked down I had my mouth open so wide, but no sound or air was moving. I'm not sure if I was so mad that I was holding my breath or what, but Mommy picked me up and said to Daddy, "Jeremiah! She's not breathing!" So Daddy grabbed me and put me on my tummy on his arm so Mommy could see if I was choking on something or what was going on. My eyes started to glaze over and my whole body was rigid. Mommy was right up in my face saying my name and I finally took a small gasp of air. But then my eyes went glazy again and I didn't breath for a couple seconds. Mommy thought it looked something like a seizure, or choking, or something weird that made me look like I was going to pass out. She was saying my name and trying to get me to focus on her, then I took a couple big gasps of air and Mommy took me in her arms. She held me close to her to listen to me breathing. I came out of whatever was keeping me from breathing and I was a little out of it. I just clung to my mommy and she held on tight to me.


It really scared Mommy and Daddy. I'm not sure what was going on, if something physically happened, or if at just shy of 18 months, I know what it is to hold my breath when I'm mad! Mommy says that her gut tells her otherwise... that it was something out of my control, but who knows!


Mommy kept checking on me all night when I was sleeping, even though I agreed that I wouldn't ever do that again. She doesn't get afraid too often or worry too much about Jonah and I, but she was afraid last night and worried too. This fear festered in her for the night, making her mind wander to horrible things, things that no mommy or daddy ever wants to encounter. Since fear isn't something she deals with a whole lot, it seemed to be something that ripped at her heart, almost making it hard for her to breathe. I guess sometimes being a mommy can be really hard. I know that she loves me so much, that it's a whole new realm of fear when you have a baby.
So this morning she went and had her date with Jesus at the coffee shop (which she does once a week now. Not always at the coffee shop, last week she just went and sat my Lake Pulaski) and He pointed out a lot of scripture about not fearing because the Lord is with her. She knows that He's in control and He's SO big! Each time that she goes, God teaches her something new! It's pretty cool.
If you think about it, say a lil prayer that I will never do anything like that again to scare my mom or dad. I don't want them to be afraid like that ever again. I'm back to my bubbly-self today. I was running around with Jonah and his friend Jake at the park today having a grand ol' time! I just laughed and giggled the whole way through!
Hope everyone has a happy Wednesday!
----
UPDATE:
We think we have a hold on what's going on. After talking with family and medical personnel we're pretty sure that it's Aphia holding her breath on her own. Rob talked with one of the Pediatricians (the same doctor that took care of Jonah while in the ICN in Willmar) he works with and he said that it's not uncommon for children Aphia's age to hold their breath following an emotional, traumatic, frustrating, or anger inducing experience. It can be both a consious and subconsious doing on her part- meaning she may not realize what she's doing at this point, but it's generally an attention getting ploy. They realize that when this happens they get big-time attention from mom and/or dad and that's what they want. The best way to treat it, is to ignore it. At 18 months... not so sure that I can do that. If it were Jonah, I know I could, he's older and I can reason with him (maybe that's why HE doesn't hold his breath!!). I'm going to do my best to give her the attention she needs and wants when she's acting in positive ways and not feed into giving attention over negative actions on her part. It will be tough, but I'm tougher :)

1 comment:

jen said...

hey there beautiful! I'm assuming that I will see you tomorrow at the wedding...we just got in this evening & though I was reluctant to return, I confess it's nice to be home....

So glad it was just a stubborn streak that was causing you all your stress & not something more serious....:) oh the drama of our little ones....

blessings!