Friday, June 10, 2011

Here We Goooooooo!

Ahhhh, sweet summer... Here at last!
I always thought that it was only the kids who ever got excited that summer break was finally here, while all the moms dreaded the day with the look of agony in their eyes. However, as a mom, I think I was just as excited for Jonah to be done with school for the year and the days of summer to begin. I'm excited and pumped to have him home for three months!

And then there was this morning and I was about ready to ship him to summer camp for the entire summer. He was picking on his sister, whispering antagonizing, mean things to her, not listening to me, being extra roudy, the list could go on. I have a LOT of work to do between now and Monday when VBS starts and this was NOT helping the process. My to-do list was not going to be very happy with me today if this continued.

So I sat us all down to have morning devotions with a kid devotional I got for the summer. And wouldn't you know it, the devo. was all about throwing out the "plans." It was called, "Take a Break with Me" and how Jesus wants our soul to rest, let him take charge and let him be in the details. Hmmm, it was like he saw what was going on in our house this morning and just what I needed to hear. Funny how that works out when we actually sit and listen and are intentionally with the Lord. We had a little chat about inviting God into our day and how as a family we are a team. Teams work together and just as they do, our family needs to work together- loving, respecting, and listening to one another.

So we look forward to summer once again as the day has gone remarkably well since our morning rumble tumble. We spent some time at church so I could work. We came home and had lunch together. We played outside on our swingset, in the pool, on our bikes (while I mowed the lawn), inside playing Barbies and Uno and now enjoying an afternoon popsicle. THIS is how summer is supposed to be. THIS is how the Lord wants me to utilize the days he has given me with my children.

Both of the kids want to earn money this summer for different things (Jonah- a DSi and Aphia- a Barbie house) and so I've made a loooooong list of extra chores (outside of their regular ones) that they can do to earn money. They can choose to do them and make money or not do them and not make money. They are excited at the idea of being able to work and make money. We'll see if that lasts.

I feel like this summer will be so different from last summer when Isaiah was a babe and I was so very tied down with him. This year, he's just one of the fam! So watch out summer because here we goooooooo!

No comments: