Thursday, June 17, 2010

City gone Country

There have been two occurances within the last week that have spoken to both my "city girl" side and "country girl" side. I grew up in the suburbs, so not even really the city, but I did go to college right smack dab in Minneapolis, blocks from downtown. And I don't even really live in the country now, but our old house in Buffalo was one house away from a corn field and you could see the silo from my front steps.

Anyways. Earlier this week I had a "first" that made me more country than city. I hit my first animal. I was buzzing down Pulaski Road when I saw a little chipmunk on the other side of the road. He started to head the other way, but then quickly panicked and headed towards my side of the road. One bump later, I looked in my rearview to see he had apparently decided that this life was just too hard and one encounter with my tires and it was all over. I was not too broken up about it, Aphia and I continued talking about whatever it is we were talking about and she was none the wiser.

Today we had a storm out here in Buffalo. I guess the news people were all over it, but I really did not watch since the only tv that gets reception is in my bedroom upstairs and we were chilling in the family room.

Jeremiah called me around 5:45 and said, "Are you home?" I naively said, "Yep, there's no t-ball tonight (a little bummed about that)." To which he replied, "Well obviously!!" I said, "Huh? Why obviously?" He said, "It's hailing here in Delano, there was a tornado, and the sirens are going off. And it's headed your way!" "Oh! Well it's just raining here. Huh."

A few minutes later it did start to hail, so I scrambled to pull the van into our already packed garage. I was very successful in squeezing it into a super small space on the first try, not touching anything, but also not being able to get out my door or the other front door. I had to crawl into the back seat (spilling coffee along the way), open the sliding door, climb out over bikes, get around to the front and climb over the hood to get back in the house. By the time the van was in the garage it was done hailing the two stupid, little hail balls that lasted about 5.8 seconds.

Jeremiah called back a few minutes later and as we were chatting my definite city girl showed herself! I was standing in the front of our house, looking out the living room windows and said to him, "Wow! You should see these clouds! They look crazy! I wish you were here to see this! It's right above the neighbors house kitty corner from us, just barely above their house. The clouds are kind of like moving in a circular motion! I'm sure it's not a tornado though. They're just really big clouds that are just moving around in a circle. It's weird though because it's like some clouds are coming up from the ground and being sucked into the big ones on top! Well, how long does it even take for a tornado to form?" "About 3 seconds! I think you should go to the basement!" He firmly replied. I said, "Ok we'll go down there." And we did, but not before I first went outside to video tape the clouds in all their craziness with my cell phone. Yep. City. Yep. Moron.

Oh and I guess that was the "tornado" that touched down just north of Buffalo. Did I mention that I live on the very north end of Buffalo? Hmm, who knew?!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Two things:
Number one, you forget to being outed as country bumpkin- mean, "girl" years ago when you actually invited me to a rodeo. Yep, a rodeo. YOU wanted ME to go to a rodeo. So anyway, you were countrified a while ago.

And number two (first, I love you but....) pretty sure not going to the basement when there's a cyclone over your neighbors house cannot be blame on city vs. country. Let's just say it can be blamed on.....uh....drunk vs. sober.....or....scared by tornadoes vs. not scared by tornadoes??....or....smart vs...uh, nevermind.