Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mary, did you know?

I'm in the middle of wrapping Christmas presents, watching a little bit of the boob tube and I feel the need to blog. Why? Because it's 10:00 p.m. and the only other significant adult contact and conversation I had today was the couple minutes that my friend Tina was here (because Jeremiah's at his Grandpa's tonight). Women need to talk. Word is that they need to say like 800 bagillion words a day. Ok maybe not that much, but sometimes I think I need to say that many. Jeremiah can attest.

Anywho. Onward! So I was nursing Isaiah the other day, listening to Christmas music, sipping on my decaf coffee, eating too many ginger snap cookies (Dad, if you're reading this-and I know you're not- pretend you don't know that I made ginger snaps and act surprised when I give them to you!) while Aphia slept and Jonah watched Dinosaur Train... of course Dinosaur Train... what else?! I was listening to the song, Mary, Did You Know? I think it was the Kenny Rogers version, maybe not. Either way, I was listening to the words that went something like:

"Mary, did you know, that your baby boy would someday walk on water? Did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters? Did you know that your baby boy has come to make things new? This child that you've delivered, would soon deliver you?"

WOW. Did she know? As I listened and looked down at my baby boy, one who will never do these things, I wondered if she knew the magnitude of who she was cradling in her arms. I wonder if she knew the life he would lead. I wonder if she knew what his life would lead to?

But then I wonder what my baby boy will do. Will he love the Lord, like I pray for him all the time? Will he be gentle spirited and kind hearted? Will he make people laugh? Will he lead others to Christ? Will he be athletic? Will he be tall like his dad? Will he be musical? Will he be snuggly? Will he invent something bigger than the internet? Will he be quiet? Will he be loud? Will he say, "Here am I, send me."? Will he marry and have children of his own?

All these things I wonder about my baby boy. But these things seem so little, and are, in comparison to what Mary must have wondered about her baby boy. I cannot fathom being the mother of the Savior of the WORLD. I mean c'mon folks, that's kind of a big deal! But I'm not gonna lie, I really don't envy her. I have enough fear that my kids will contract H1N1, or fall and break their head, let alone go through what Jesus went through, and have to watch that as a mother. Um, NO THANK YOU. I'll pass.

But she did watch him. She watched him as a baby, and kept him safe from King Herod. She watched him as a boy, teaching the leaders in the Temple. She watched him as a man, turn water into wine. She watched him as the Savior, die a brutal death so that we all can have the chance to live. WOW. What a mom. And what a man.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Talk about perspective. As a mom of three in today's busy, busy world, it can be easy to become overwhelmed by my 'burdens'. But to consider Mary's burden -- to raise the Savior -- ours is but a simple task. To raise our children to love the Lord, they are His children after all. Just a gift to us to treasure for a moment. And that little boy of yours? Keep prayin' mommy -- he will do great, wonderful things!