Friday, June 12, 2009

Back in the Game

She's back in the game folks!

For many, many years back at Calvary, I taught Vacation Bible School. I absolutely LOVED doing it. I started as a helper, have worked side by side with many friends and both of my brothers assisted me a couple times. I do have to say, Michael and I had some of the GREATEST classes ever (Michael, do you remember, "Are you rrrrrrrrready?!"). Richie and I... well Richie was awesome- the insane 5th grade boys were a whole nother story! I kind of wanted to convince them all that they suffered from allergies, give them a BIG dose of Benadryl and watch them all zonk out. Just kidding... kind of.

Anyways, sorry for the ramblings there.

This year I was back in the VBS game at our church! I got to do the Bible stories each day for the "Little VBS"ers (2-3 year olds whose parents are volunteering), the 3-4 year olds and the 4 year olds. IT WAS AN ABSOLUTE BLAST! The little ones were amazingly good listeners for their (approximately) 10 minute story! They'd sit on their blanket and stare up at me in awe and wonder. I'm hoping the wonder wasn't as to why I look so goofy or something. I was a little nervous leaving Aphia's class the first day, thinking that she'd want to go with me. She did wimper a bit, but the second day, when their teacher said to say thank you to me, she shouted, in her little high pitched voice, "Sanks fo da stowy, Mommy! Bye Mommy!"

On Wednesday, Jonah was "that kid." You all know who I'm talking about, the one who raises his hand and really has nothing to say, but who just wants to talk. Yep, that was my boy. Just as I'm starting the story and getting the kids engaged, he raised his hand (which he must have learned this week- thank you to Teacher Trisha! Because he was a blurter before) and when I called on him, he said, "Ummm, ahhhhh. Ummmmm, Mom. We're going to go camping in a couple weeks." "Yes, Jonah thank you, now let's listen to the story." And at the end of the story I let the kids as questions or make comments about the story. After Jonah's couple of comments he says, "Mom I have a LOT more questions." I said, "I'm sure you do. We can talk about all of them later at home."

I'll post some pictures that my wonderful friend Jen took during the week, I know she got a shot of both Jones and Phi. So when she puts them on Facebook, I'll get them and put them on here too.

So to conclude. I love VBS and I'll do it til I die.

1 comment:

jen said...

:) Hello wonderful story lady! Yes, I'll post some pics...but you might have to wait a day or two! :) love you!